Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Plant medicine -- St. John's Wort Oil





 
This healing oil of St. John's Wort, Hypericum perforatum, is a staple for our family.  Michael healed a deep puncture wound, without infection, and any minor scrap or burn is treated with this oil.  A fellow villager, Kayla, gave us our first jar the month we moved to Tipi Village.  A precious gift!  This summer I made my own oil. Paying close watch over the new shoots on my daily walks around the mountain.  I felt like I was hovering in anticipation and envious of those returning with the summer's first blooms. Fair and I gathered the flowers and buds from multiple spots around the village, making sure that we were conscience of the other medicine makers harvest, as to not diminish the flowers to seed next years growth.  I used 70% buds to 30% flowers, solar infused with organic olive oil.  It sat outside our tipi for over two months, deepening in reds everyday. 

No comments: